Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Earthlings

Since I'm in a mood, and the week's them seems to be Animals, I'm going to sit this morning and try to watch Earthlings again.  You can watch the movie with me -- it's free and available here.


Earthlings is an extremely difficult film to view.  The last time I tried, I made it about 30 minutes in before I was just overwhelmed.  Narrated by Joaquin Phoenix and scored by Moby, Earthlings purports to be about the connection between Nature, Animals and Humans.  Watch the trailer below.  It seems innocent enough.  But the trailer is a soft-sell.  What Earthlings IS is a machete to your innocence.  Earthlings is about the god-awful cruelty and disregard with which we treat animals -- our fellow Earthlings.  It's not pretty. 

Very quickly I come to an impasse.  If I discuss details of what is in this movie, I feel like I may make you less likely to watch it.  There's a reason this film is nicknamed "The Vegan-maker".  So all I'll say is to make sure there are no children around before you click "Play".  And have a box of tissues handy because it will move you.  

We live in a world of processed products in which we never have to come face-to-face with the consequences of our appetites.  Earthlings is a movie that I feel like everyone on Earth should be required to watch -- but I haven't even managed to watch it all the way through myself yet.  So I'm going to try again to look this square in the eye.  Right now, this morning.  Why not watch it with me?


***Gravy Rainbow*** Please link to us on your blog or website. http://gravyrainbow.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment